Friday, August 28, 2009

The poetry of Leonard Nimoy

Let's hope this strikes the right balance between fair use of copyrighted material and the curiosity of fandom. I believe Leonard Nimoy's books of poetry are out of print, but used copies can be found fairly easily. These are the two I have: We Are All Children Searching for Love (Blue Mountain Press, 1977) and Come Be With Me (Blue Mountain Press, 1978).



I am convinced

I am convinced
That if all mankind
Could only gather together
In one circle
Arms on each other's shoulders
And dance, laugh and cry
     together
   Then much
     of the tension and burden
       of life
     Would fall away
In the knowledge that
We are all children
Needing and wanting
Each other's
Comfort and
Understanding
We are all children
Searching for love

You stepped deep into the waters

You stepped
 Deep into
  The waters
   Of my soul

Patiently you searched
 For the precious
     Stone

You found it
 Warmed it
  Caressed it
And gave it
  To me
Unselfishly
  As a gift

And now
  It is ours
    And we call it
        Love

I may not be

I may not be the fastest
I may not be the tallest
     Or the strongest

I may not be the best
Or the brightest

    But one thing I can do better
     Than anyone else...

      That is

        To be me

If love can be

If love can be withdrawn
It never was

My love for you is not a gift
    To you
      It is a gift
        To me

Without others

Without others
   I am
      Alone

Without you
   I am
      Lonesome

1 Comments:

At 5:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my. Classic literature right there ;)

I'm tempted to find a copy of one of his publications as a Christmas present to myself...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home