Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Death Waving Goodbye

There's been some commentary on various blogs and sites about Star Trek's own Lori Jareo situation. Well, Amazon has pulled the plug on sales of Austin Torney's The Death Wave, but not before I got my copy. (Not that I've read it yet.)

Anyway, interested parties can still get a sense of what they're missing, for at least a little while, by clicking here.

Looks like a number of the fanfic publications coming from lulu.com over the last couple of years have also disappeared fairly recently, including the collection of various Austin Torney works in which The Death Wave was first published.

Meanwhile, Michael Burkhardt's Trek fanfic Star Cruisers is still available at Amazon, no doubt because it doesn't have Star Trek in the title and thus hasn't drawn any attention to itself.

3 Comments:

At 4:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually Torney has said that he has taken it off Amazon himself. I don't remember where he wrote that (Allyn Gibson's LJ ? ), but I remember that I've read a comment by him where he said as much.

 
At 5:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was on my LJ, yes.

I haven't checked, but as of a month ago he had the whole novel's text on a message board.

I sent Paul Simpson at Star Trek Magazine a review of the book, in case he could use it. Alas, not. :/

Also, check out the YouTube link in the book. At least, for the first few minutes.

 
At 7:22 PM, Blogger Pike said...

I’ve read Star Cruisers and I just want to give my impression of the book, which is that it appears to be a futuristic story about people who have grown up on Star Trek only to create a Starfleet of their own. It does seem to have some errors, but I’m not sure if they are mistakes or intentional. I did enjoy reading it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home