Saturday, October 27, 2007

TNG anniversary trilogy -- quick thoughts



On his livejournal, Brendan Moody posted late last night that something big and unexpected happens at the end of Before Dishonor, and that he understood how all the "Snape kills Dumbledore!" spammers felt.

I read that post early this morning and thought, well, crap, he may resist the temptation, but will everyone? So I finished the story I was reading in The Sky's the Limit, set it aside, and started Before Dishonor.

I'll go into more detail later, but damn. Resistance, Q&A, and Before Dishonor make a tighter trilogy than one might expect, given that the first and third deal with the Borg and the second with Q, but that doesn't mean anyone fascinated by the Borg should skip Q&A and plan to get back to it later. It's not a flawless collection of work -- I still think Resistance recycled too much from previous Borg appearances, and it seemed to me that Peter David's characterizations of certain new Enterprise officers were not only perfunctory at best, they were inconsistent with the two preceding books.

But damn. This is a Big Event trilogy in ways the old big annual crossovers weren't: it will have major repercussions. The fact that the word "destiny" is repeated significantly late in Before Dishonor is, I suspect, a big whopping hint that we will see more about one particularly surprising development next year in the Destiny trilogy.

For TNG and Voyager fans in particular, this is must-read stuff.

6 Comments:

At 9:56 PM, Blogger Brendan Moody said...

My feeling at this point is that Destiny will probably reverse that particular surprising thing from Before Dishonor. While I should object to this prospect on dramatic grounds, I think there's more story potential if the event in question unhappens, so I'm OK with it.

There, that was so vague that probably even those who've read the book don't know what I'm on about.

 
At 10:02 PM, Blogger Steve said...

My concern is that a certain character's situation right now is more than a little reminiscent of a certain other character's status as of the end of a certain Trek series, and that situation was reversed in the books, and I hope we aren't going to see something too similar.

 
At 9:36 PM, Blogger Faye said...

Do you know if the events in Before Dishonor are canon? God, I hope that it's not! Please let me know if you have any news on this!

 
At 10:33 AM, Blogger Steve said...

fab, sorry to be so late in responding. Technically, none of the books are canon. However, within the books tere's usually a certain degree of continuity, so future TNG relaunch novels will in some way follow up on the events of Before Dishonor. Regarding Janeway... I know bringing people back from death is a Trek cliche and the writers try to avoid cliches, but I doubt she's gone forever. That's just a guess, though.

 
At 12:08 AM, Blogger Faye said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 12:16 AM, Blogger Faye said...

Thanks Steve. I love Peter David and all that he has written so far - but everyone has their bad days and I will just consider Before Dishonor as one one his ;-)

I just bought the Klingon Empire. Haven't started to read it yet though.

BTW, your blog is great!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home